Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Release Day Review! Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover



AMAZON / B&N / KOBO


At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…


***

My thoughts: It's the middle of the release day and I just finished reading Maybe Someday. Now, I'm trying to gather my thoughts and hope that I can express in my review just how wonderful this book is!

First, I have something to say. The very first time I've heard about Colleen Hoover was right here, on Bibliophile Mystery, on the day that Hopeless was published in Romania. Everyone was talking about it and I was curious, so I decided to give it a try. That didn't work out very well and it took me a while to finish it but this it's a story for another day.

Even so, I liked her writing style and I wasn't ready to give up yet. This is how I got my hands on Slammed. And I fell in love. Totally and completely in love!

I think it only took me a few hours to finish it because it was so good I couldn't put it down! And of course, I had to know how the story ended, so Point of Retreat and This Girl were next. Two days ago I finally managed to finish Hopeless too and I can't believe I put it on hold for so long. Now, here I am, all teary eyed and with a stupid grin on my face, trying to decide how and what to write about this awesome book that is Maybe Someday.

Sydney Blake has a loving boyfriend, she's living with her best friend and working at the college library. She loves music so much, that in her second year of college she decides to go against her family's whish and switch her major to music education, to pursue the dream of becoming an elementary music teacher.

Ridge lives in the building across the street. Every evening, at eight o'clock, he comes out on his balcony and starts playing the guitar. Sydney is drawn to his music and curious about him, so she makes a habit of standing on her terrace every evening, doing her homework and listening to his songs.
“For weeks now, the guy in the apartment across the courtyard has sat on his balcony and played for at least an hour. Every night, I sit outside and listen.”
Ridge Lawson is a computer programmer but his true passion is music. He's part of a band called Sounds of Cedar, where his brother is the leading singer and Ridge writes their music. Every evening he practices on the terrace, composing new melodies and trying desperately to get past the block that's keeping him from writing lyrics.

That's how he notices her, the girl across the street. She sits there, listening to him while she studies, sometimes even murmuring as if she's composing lyrics to his songs. A little bit of curiosity and a little bit of something else push him into trying to gain her attention, and he does it in an - let's say - unusual way.
“He comes back outside with a paper and a marker in his hands.
He’s writing. What the hell is he writing?
He holds up two sheets of paper, and I squint to get a good look at what he’s written.
A phone number.
Shit. His phone number?”
So, she ends up sending him the lyrics she's written a little bit every night while listening to him play.
When Sydney's boyfrind cheats on her with her best friend, Ridge will be the one to give her a hand and a place to stay when she has no place to go. Living together will bring them closer, much closer than they probably want. But there are more painful facts that push them apart.

Even so, none of them is willing to step away and put distance between them, but fate decides to force their hand.
 “The way it makes me feel to know I’ve hurt her is exactly why I need her to leave, because I shouldn’t care this much.”
It was very heartbreaking to see them struggle with their feelings. To see the pain at the thought that they'll never make it, no matter how much they want to. 

Colleen has an amazing talent with words! I was truly impressed by Slammed but I'm even more so after reading Maybe Someday. The lyrics are brilliant and I'm sure many will find themselves in her words. I know I did! She has an incredible gift.
And if I can’t be yours now 
I’ll wait here on this ground 
Till you come, till you take me away 
Maybe somedayMaybe someday
Do not hesitate! This is one book you don't want to miss. A beautiful and heart melting love story that will keep you glued to your seats until the end.

Thank you, Cristina for doing such a great job promoting Hopeless and convincing me to give it and Colleen Hoover a chance.

Thank you, Colleen for these wonderful stories you create. I can't get enough! I wish I could give it a million stars. This book totally deserves them. Brilliant!

Happy Reading!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Si soarele e o stea

Bloguri, Bloggeri si Cititori