Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: Covenant #4 - Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

My thoughts: There are many reasons why I love Apollyon. One of them is that it’s my first ARC form Spencer Hill Press, and it’s written by Jen, and it’s all about Aiden, and Deity left me hanging 2 miles up in the air so I NEEDED it desperately, and I could go on like this forever.

But the most magnificent thing about Apollyon is the story itself. Believe me, it’s EPIC! 

The action takes off right from the point where Elixir left. There were a lot of moments that broke my heart in the first part of the book, most of them had something – in fact, ALL - to do with Aiden. But he’s so strong, so devoted to his cause! All that he’s going through will only make you love him more. I can’t tell you any more about him without spoiling something, so I’ll just shut up and move on… but not without showing you some quotes first, what did ya think?
“To love is not weak. Love is the strongest thing there is.”
Aiden shuddered, and then clasped my cheeks. His silver eyes searched mine. They were covered in a fine sheen – like tears, but Aiden never cried. “Alex… oh, gods, Alex, are you here?”
I bit down my lip and my legs started trembling. But he was there. Like always, holding me up when I couldn’t stand and letting me go when he knew I needed him to. He was more than just a shelter. Aiden was my other half, my equal. And he needed no weird Apollyon connection.
Alex has grown up a lot. She’s definitely stronger and more mature. She has to make some difficult decisions and she’ll surprise you by choosing right – this time. She also goes through very intense, insanely hard moments that will give you nightmares for quite a while. But you don’t have to worry that you’ll miss her old self or her smartass comments. They’re all there, and that’s another reason why I love The Covenant Series so much.
No matter how convoluted my life got, one thing remained consistent- my hair looked like a baby opossum had taken refuge in it, invited some friends over, and thrown a party.
And then again, when Thanatos had hit me with the god bolt, he had been there like a creepy stalker with a one-way ticket to my brain.
Seth is there too, somewhere… Not too close, not too far, exactly how I like it. Well… I might have missed the old Seth just a little bit. He had a way of adding a bit of spice even to the most boring scene, But since Apollyon doesn’t have ANY boring scenes, this isn’t much of an issue.
"Aiden complimented me; he was the yin to my yang, the "now, now" to my smartass. But Seth and I were too much alike, and in a way, we really were the same person. Together for too long, we probably would murder each other."
I’ve always admired the way Jen creates the world of her stories, because all of her characters get to play their part, no one’s wasted. I loved the way they played their part in Apollyon and I was truly sad when I had to say goodbye to some of them. But let’s look at the bright side! I got to meet some of the old characters that I wouldn’t have thought to see again.

Deacon is one of my favorites because of his way of making a joke out of everything and his brotherly love for Aiden.
“Whatever you do, don't break my brother's heart. You are his world. And if you leave it, it will destroy him.”
Seriously, if you liked the first three books, you’ll totally LOVE this one! It has more action, crazy hot fighting scenes – and some other scenes – more gods (I totally wanted to hit Apollo with a god bolt a few times. Can gods be stricken by god bolts too?), Greek legends and friendship. A perfect read!
"Death could stop a lot of things, but it could never cut the bond of friendship."
Happy reading!


Photobucket

5 comments:

Bonnie Ithil said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

Imi place foarte mult recenzia acestei carti si citatele myu sunt o multime pe care le ador :))

Unknown said...

super recenzie Christina exact asa cum ne-ai obisnuit mereu. m-ai facut sa vreau cartea si acum trebuie sa asteptam pana apare la noi

Unknown said...

Mai bine nu citeam rezenzia ca m-ai facut extrem de curioasa

Anonymous said...

parca e in flacarisi imi place mult ma duce cu gandul la renastere din propria cenusa

Si soarele e o stea

Bloguri, Bloggeri si Cititori